What is needed to change the Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) method to Microsoft Authenticator App
- Access to a desktop or laptop
- Mobile phone - may require a screen lock
- Internet access
- Microsoft Authenticator App (Android or Apple)
Minimum requirements for Mobile Devices
- 75MB of free disk space
- Allow Push Notification
- Allow Camera access - to scan QR Codes
Steps to Register Office account with Microsoft Authenticator App
- Install the Microsoft Authenticator App on your mobile phone.
Once App is installed - Set the mobile device aside, you will need to use a computer for a majority of the steps below.
- Login to Office.com from any desktop computer or any laptop computer.
- Click on your profile image at the top right
- Select View Account
- On the left side of the screen, click on Security info
***It will require you to re-authenticate using your current authentication process***
- From the Security Info webpage
- Click on the + Add sign-in method towards the top of the screen.
- From the pop-up window, click the down arrow to see the methods
- Select Authenticator app
- Click on Next, Keep your account secure, "Microsoft Authenticator Start by getting the app".
- Microsoft Authenticator, set up your account click on Next.
***On your mobile device, you may need to Enable Notifications.***
Switch from the computer to use the mobile device
- When using your mobile device: You might encounter various options based on your device. You can choose either Add Account, Work or school, or Scan QR code
Using the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device, Scan the QR-code on the computer screen. Once your phone says “Approved”, then click on the Next on the lower right of the computer screen.
- You must use the Microsoft Authenticator App's integrated camera
- Using just the phones camera will not work.
*Possible Error messages: “No Usable data”
- Make sure you are using the Microsoft Authenticator App's built in camera feature, not your default camera on the mobile device.
- Try to refresh the computer screen, click the Back button, then Next , this will refresh the screen and give a new QR code. The screen will timeout for security purposes.
- The computer will show a number that will need to be entered on the mobile device.
*** The number changes every time you need to approve the login***
- Notification approved. Click Next to finish.
***You may be prompted to enter a cell phone number for a backup method if you have not done so already. ***
- Finally change the “default sign-in method”
- Click on Change
- Click on the drop-down arrow
- Select App based authentication - notification
- Confirm when finished
Congratulations your account has been secured using the Microsoft Authenticator
If you are having issues, please contact the Helpdesk at (269) 965-4148